It’s time we had some new gay slang to spice up our brunch conversations. Thankfully for us, the very witty raconteur Justin Sayre has updated our gay dictionaries with some hilarious new additions.
For the past 8 years, Sayre’s “International Order of Sodomites” (I.O.S.) has gathered once a month for “The Meeting,” a variety show honoring an artist or a cultural work that is iconic to the gay community. “The Meeting” took it’s final bow last night at Joe’s Pub in New York City. The audiences at two sold-out shows stood in ovation for Sayre and his talented crew of performers. What’s next for the I.O.S. we’re not sure, but hopefully Sayre isn’t going anywhere.
In this new video, Sayre teams up with fellow performer Ben Rimalower to introduce some new, cheeky gay terminology. Sure, you know what “otter” and “spill the tea” mean, but what about “dropbox”?
Here are 7 new gay slang phrases you need to know:
1. Girl, wha? – The response when a friend says something so gay you’re surprised they don’t combust. It’s not a chastisement, it is just an acknowledgement of your gay power.
2. Just around the riverbend – Taken from the Disney film Pocahontas, this refers to when someone is so deep inside you they actually feel your colon turn.
3. Painting the roses red – An illusion to Lewis Carroll, a phrase used when you’re purposely ignoring a fact out of kindness or social advantage.
4. Mulan – Taken from the Disney film, this is a verb used to describe preparation and presentation of a straighter version of yourself so you can get a job.
5. Ice Palace rules – A phrase meaning no holds barred depravity, an illusion to the hotel on Fire Island.
6. Dropbox – A voracious bottom who, much like the online storage facility, can be filled with almost anything.
7. Carrie and Debbie – An allusion to famed Hollywood mother and daughter Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds used in this instance as a determining factor as identifying tops and bottoms in intergenerational relationships.
Check out Justin Sayre’s comedy album, “The Gay Agenda,” here. The latest episode of “Sparkle & Circulate with Justin Sayre,” the official I.O.S. podcast, was released this month, featuring an interview with RuPaul’s Drag Race season five winner Jinkx Monsoon.
You can also view previous performances from “The Meeting” here.